More than ever, today’s businessmen and women realize that knowledge is power. From setting personal goals to excelling in their professional work environments, determined men and women from around the world combine real-life experience with formal education to successfully achieve everything they set out to do.
For the time-deprived, attending a workshop or taking a college class is often out the question. So, how do these individuals stay on top of their game? They take advantage of the online resources made available to them. Whether you are a stay-at-home parent turned entrepreneur or a harried individual working in a competitive field, you can benefit tremendously by becoming a lifetime learner.
The following list includes 10 fun ways to increase your knowledge each day without incurring costs or tying up your schedule even further:
1. Sign up for free language classes at Livemocha. Over 6 million members from over 200 countries around the world use this website to learn over 35 different languages. Choose from English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese or Italian and travel with ease.
2. Take advantage of all that Learn Out Loud has to offer. Download free audio and video titles including Martin Luther King Jr’s I Have a Dream speech and Oprah.com’s Money Channel Podcast.
3. Polish up on your business know-how by visiting the Small Business Administration. Take classes, order publications, and participate in web chats. The more you know, the more you will grow professionally.
4. Have Dictionary.com send their Free Word of the Day to your email. Learn what foudroyant and incunabulum means so you can impress your friends, family members, and colleagues.
5. Solve a puzzle at SharpBrains. Test your Brain Fitness by trying out the website’s most popular teasers and games. You can also read articles by experts who suggest ways to increase your concentration.
6. Attend a free course online at Yale. Whoever said that getting an Ivy League education would cost a fortune knew nothing about OpenCourseWare. With over a dozen different departments offering classes, there is something of interest for everyone.
7. Learn how to Do-It-Yourself by searching the Web site Instructables. Want to learn how to fix your Plasma TV or grow your own vegetable garden? Step-by-step instructions and videos teach you how to do anything you put your mind to.
8. Catch up on all the literary classics by visiting Project Gutenburg. There are over 33,000 e-books available to read on your PC, iPad, Kindle, Sony Reader, iPhone, and Android device.
9. Get inspired by visiting the Creativity Portal. You will find plenty of ways to tap into your creativity while using critical thinking and socialization skills. From art projects to writing prompts, you can keep your mind fresh and your spirit young by visiting this site.
10. Read online newspapers. Directories like Yahoo provide you with lists of newspapers from cities and countries all over the world. Simply click on the link and obtain information about your choice location.
A sharp mind can help a person achieve the unthinkable. With a little perseverance and a lot of discipline, you, too, can increase your knowledge one day at a time.