Get to know the jobs that pay women the most.
While the Equal Pay Act has now been in existence for over 50 years, women continue to receive lower pay rates as compared to men who are holding the same positions. Thankfully, however, there are still several jobs that pay women well.
Best Healthcare Jobs for Women
- Pharmacist. This occupation made it to the top of the list since most pharmacists earn anywhere between $84,000 and $144,000 per year. Female pharmacists also earn as much as their male counterparts, making it one of the few jobs that can claim 100% gender equality. In addition, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expects that the demand for pharmacists will still be on the upswing until 2020 no matter what the state of the economy is.
- Registered nurse. Nurses earn anywhere between $45,000 and $80,000 per year (median average salary of $79,500/year). The demand for nurses is also expected to increase for years to come despite the tough economy primarily due to the explosive growth of the aging population. However, if you really want to get the best paying nursing jobs available, consider specializing in personal care. You may want to consider applying for a position in pharmaceutical or medical device manufacturing companies.
- Physician. While this noble profession pays a good sum of money (a general internist earns about $183,000 per year while those with sub-specialties can earn even more), female doctors are only paid 68% as much as their male counterparts. This can be due to the fact that women tend to gravitate toward lower paying specialties and accept lower pay in exchange for more flexible working conditions. The BLS projected that there will be more than 168,000 new jobs for physicians from 2010 to 2020.
Dentists, physical and occupational therapists, veterinarians, dental hygienists and physical therapist assistants are also very much in demand and are paid extremely well.
Best Technology Job
- Computer and information systems analyst. These positions receive an annual median salary amounting to about $79,000 or anywhere between $49,000 and $120,000 per year. While women holding this position receive 12% less as compared to their male counterparts, there is a strong growth prospect in the industry. The BLS projected that there will be a 22.1% employment growth in this sector from 2010 to 2020.
Database administrators, software and web developers, computer programmers and IT managers are also paid extremely well. With the high demand for these jobs, you can expect that employers will be more than willing to give you a premium salary for your services.
Best Business Job
- Market research analyst. This jobs pays anywhere from $60,000 to more than $110,000 per year. In addition, the BLS projected that there will be a 41.2% increase in employment from 2010 to 2020.
If you are interested in establishing a career in business, you may also want to consider working as a financial advisor, accountant, compliance officer or audit clerk. While it is sad to note that men and women still do not receive the same pay rate even when they are doing the same jobs, any of these occupations can give you bigger paychecks and allow you to live comfortably.