By: John McIntyre
Magazine Edition: April 2004
- Percentage of working adults who think that time away from work makes them better employees, according to a Wirthlin Worldwide survey: 94.
- Number of times African-Americans with advanced business degrees are more likely to go into business for themselves than their white counterparts, according to a survey by Community Development Technologies Center and Merrill Lynch: 2.
- Percentage of corporate recruiters who say that communication and interpersonal skills are the most valuable attributes in an employee, according to a Wall Street Journal/Harris Interactive survey: 90.
- Percentage who say strategic thinking is most important: 65.
- Percentage who say work experience is most valuable: 32.
- Percentage of American adultswho say they have an idea for a new consumer product or innovation, according to a survey by Staples: 42.
- Percentage who say lack of money is the reason their idea doesn’t make it to the drawing board: 75.
- Among the top reasons cited for not getting an idea to the drawing board, the rank of those not having the money to invest in their idea: l.
- Rank of not knowing where to start: 2.
- Rank of lack of time: 3.
- Rank of thinking that the product would never make onto store shelves: 4.
- Percentage of minority executives who feel an obligation to succeed on behalf of their race, according to a survey by McCormick Fellowship Initiative: 91.
- Percentage who forfeit their cultural identities or expressions to better fit into the organization: 86.
- Percentage of minority executives who say they have to work harder than their white counterparts to reach their present level in their careers: 62.
- Rank of insurance costs as the No. 1 problem facing small-business owners in the U.S., according to a survey by the National Federation of Independent Business: 1.
- Rank given to taxes: 2.
- Number of consecutive years in which taxes were the No. 1 concernas of 2003: 16.
- Percentage of Black students who want to start a business, according toa Junior Achievement Enterprise Poll on entrepreneurship: 84.
- Percentage of white students who want to do this: 71.